Whole food plant-based diet
It’s been a month since I switched to a whole food plant-based diet. It’s been very interesting. A few observations
- I went a day without coffee on a Sunday. I haven’t gone a day without coffee EVER. This is crazy.
- Sometimes I crave wine or beer. These cravings really subsided. It’s weird. Now I have a hard time finishing a glass of wine. My coffee sits on my desk and I rarely finish it. I’ll be at the store and a 6 pack of beer repulses me.
- When I think of meat I picture rotting chicken and want to puke. I used to eat meat daily.
- Cheese was pretty hard to give up, but now I am repulsed by it. So bizarre. The smell of it is nasty.
- I now drink coffee straight(when I drink it)
- I have this sense of wellness and thankfulness that comes in my thoughts from time to time
- Energy levels have improved especially in the evening. I feel I’m focused when I’m off work and fully awake until bedtime.
- June 18th Blood pressure 141/90
- July 18th Blood pressure 127/82
- A 14 point systolic drop in blood pressure an 8 point drop in diastolic in one month is exciting. Also I’m curious to see if these numbers keep coming down as my body heals from the damage I was doing to it with all the bad stuff I was eating.
- I didn’t track my weight, but clothes are fitting looser.
- It’s harder to quantify my workouts which are bike rides and running, but I think I’m getting faster. It does feel like my recovery time and soreness have dropped fairly substantially (I am 40 years old after all!)
- Shown below is May blood work (Essentially your average fat American)
- Cholesterol: 199
- LDL 120
- HDL 45
- Blood Glucose: 98
- BMI: 30.4
- Triglycerides: 215
- Blood pressure: 138/83
- I’ll update my blood work in August. Stay tuned.
Written on July 18, 2018